Collections Exhibits Contact Useful Links

Falvey Memorial Library is pleased to present Villanova’s Library: Revisiting its Past, Envisioning its Future, a closer look at the history of the library at Villanova University.  Consisting of materials gathered from the University Archives, Special Collections, and generous donations by Falvey Staff. This exhibition attempts to provide a comprehensive look at the University library dating from the 1880s to the present day. 




The Beginning, Part One: The Library Before 1949


Villanova College Library, Reading Room
Alumni Hall, 1894
(Courtesy of the University Archives)


Benefactors of the Monastery Library
(Special Collections, Falvey Memorial Library)



Old Villanova College Library
Austin Hall, 1924-1949
(Courtesy of the University Archives)

Library Catalog

1928-1933, 7 v.
(Special Collections, Falvey Memorial Library)



These catalogs were used to find books in the library by first choosing a subject, Profane History for example, then by browsing that section for an author or title.

Photographs of Conceptual Drawings for Villanova’s Library
c. 1930s
Alfred Panepinto, Architect, (Class of 1927)
(Courtesy of the University Archives)

These three photographs of conceptual drawings (c. 1930s) show what Villanova’s library might have looked like if it had been built by the architectural firm of Alfred Panepinto (Class of 1927). These designs were ultimately rejected in favor of plans from the firm of Henry D. Dagit & Sons who built the Villanova College Library (1949) and the 1968 addition to the library.

Continue on to:

The Beginning, Part Two: The Original Villanova Library, Now Known as Old Falvey

The Addition to the Original Villanova Library, Now Known as Falvey Memorial Library

Blueprints of Villanova University Libraries

Rules & Regulations

Collection Growth: 1880-Present

How Books Circulate

Index of Forbidden Books: History and Examples

Donations Made to the Library

Directors & University Librarians

Staff at Falvey

The Future of Falvey                  

These two photographs show the exhibition as it looked when it was on display from May 19, 2006 to September 15, 2006


Augustiniana | European imprints to 1800 | hubbard collection | incunabula
limited editions | Mcgarrity collection | manuscripts
mendel collection | North american imprints to 1864 | villanovana